Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Jed Tharnaby at Guthries Folk Club


Fyrm and I went to listen to Jed. I had tried to catch him the evening before, but the manager didn’t show up, so he had no stream. That’s so annoying when that happens.
Anyway – we went to Guthries Folk Club. There was no sound although it was nearly 10 min. past the hour. Eventually it was sorted out though and Jed played his first song – a song I like a lot:”Last thing on my mind” by Tom Paxton.
I quite liked his version although I must say I love Fyrm’s the most. Russell Eponym sings a very nice version too.
Jed plays a steel strung acoustic guitar and has Bob Dylan, Donovan and several others in his repertoire. It is when he sings Johnny Cash that his gig really takes off though in my opinion. His voice is very well suited for his songs. I would say that he is more of a country and western singer than a singer in the english folk tradition, although he comes from Birmingham apparently.
At some point he even played a mandolin. It sounded very good I think. I would like to hear more of that.
There was a nice crowd at about 12-15 people at Guthries and they seemed to get into the music. It was a nice experience to be there and to listen to Jed.

No comments:

Post a Comment