Sunday, July 26, 2009

Saturday evening in Second Life listening to Nad Gough, Djai Skjellerup and Strum Diesel


Yesterday we went to listen to Nad Gough at the swamp. Fyrm always wears his green wellies when we go to gigs there. I must have listened to Nad at least a hundred times, but I need a Nad fix regularly. That is just how it is. His arrangements are catchy and intelligent, and I love his voice. Somehow he reminds me of the danish jazz singer and trobadour Povl Dissing. When he first started his career people either loved him or hated him. His hoarse and theatrical way of treating danish folk songs offended a lot of people, but nowadays I think he is loved by most.
Anyway – in some strange way Nad reminds me of him, and the atmosphere at his gigs are always friendly and cosy. His manager Jody Perkins adds to the atmosphere with her spectacular particle shows.
Later in the evening we went to listen to Djai Skjellerup. He was playing at Nirvana Beach.They did something they called ”originals day”. Djai is a piano player and a very brilliant one, and his songs are wonderful and indeed very original. He is good at getting the attention of the audience. He makes people sing along in so far as it is possible in chat. Somehow it works. I definitely want to tell more about Djai’s music later on.
Last gig of the evening was Strum Diesel’s. He was also playing originals at Nirvana Beach, and I must say I was blown away. That man can handle an acoustic guitar. He is not using a loop machine or anything. He just plays with incredibly fast fingers, and it sounds awesome. I didn’t catch a lot of the lyrics of his songs. I am danish, and although I speak english rather well I think I often have to listen more than once to understand english lyrics fully. He said something interesting though. He also plays gigs in his first life, but he said that he found it more satisfying to play in second life because people there really listened. They were not so occupied with other things besides listening to the music. He also emphasized that he didn’t say ’real life’ but ’first life’. Both first and second lives are real. I so agree with him. I am definitely going to catch a Strum Diesel gig soon again.

No comments:

Post a Comment