Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Djai Skjellerup at Benzaiten Gallery


Damn I forgot to take a pic! Oh well – I will write about Djai and his music anyway (and I ended up googling a picture of Djai)
This evening he was playing at an opening of an art exhibition at the Benzaiten Gallery. Cestra Segall, Iam Yumako and Crow Vultee were displaying their art. We didn’t see much of it though, because there were so many people there, and it was very laggy. The part I did see made me wanna come back later to take a closer view.
Djai is a singer and pianist from the South West of England. He is one of my favourite musicians in Second Life, and I listen to him as often as I can.
This evening he started out with the rather quiet ”Waiting for you” Then came the more up tempo song about the american author Jack Keruoac. He sang ”Hidden depths” and ”Making me feel I belong”, where the chorus line makes people type ”Doo do Doo” like crazy.”While you wait” he introduced with a sweet little story about his son waiting for an ice cream, and he said: ”In this life it’s not what you are waiting for, but what you do while you wait”. Very true words! He continued with ”Stars shine more”, ”Cotton tree” about FannyAnn Eddy, who fought for the human rights of lesbians and gays in Sierra Leone. He ended the gig with ”Work it out”, a sad song called ”smile” and finally ”Suffer”
My friend said to me that Djai this evening was slightly more serious and reflective than usual in his way of introducing the songs, and I think that was true. He is very good at connecting with his audience, making them take part, and he is not reticent to share details of his first life. In fact I think that that is a very important skill for a musician in Second Life to have. Well more or less for musicians in first life too I guess.
Apart from his entertainment skills Djai is a brilliant pianist and a good singer. His songs are original, melodious and often make you reflect on life. They makes you wanna dance and sing along too. If you haven’t been to one of Djai’s shows you definitely should. I am sure you will end up coming back again and again.

No comments:

Post a Comment