Thursday, August 13, 2009

Jon Enímo at Rhythm Park and thoughts about music in Second Life

Last night I went to listen to a guy called Jon Enimo at Rhythm Park. He was playing from Canada. I had not heard him before.
He was brilliant – I mean really good. He was a highly skilled rhythm guitarist, and I liked his voice a lot. He sang his own originals, covering several styles - folk, pop and rock. I will have to listen to him again to write a proper review. I am looking forward to doing that.
This evening he played for 7-8 not very talkative people. As far as I could see his tips amounted to 200 Lindens. I tipped him half of that and my friend the other half. I am sure this can’t be the default, when he plays in Second Life. Nevertheless I sometimes wonder what is wrong with people.
Firstly: For me being able to listen to live music is one of the greatest things about Second Life. And you can do it for free. It doesn’t cost you one single linden dollar, unless you choose to tip the artist. Honestly –if you can at all, I think you should. And while you are at it – remember to tip the venue too. You will certainly not become a millionaire by running a Second Life venue. It cost a lot of lindens to keep a venue running.
Tipping will also show the artist that his or her music is appreciated, and if you are not able to donate, tell in chat that you like the music! That is the least you can do.
Secondly: It is beyond me that a highly skilled musician like Jon Enimo gets such a small audience ( still sure though that it must be an exception). Sometimes I stumble into gigs with large audiences, and the artist is singing nothing but karaoke. Maybe a nice voice –no more than that, and then backing tracks. No - I am not mentioning any names!
Anyway – I wish people would support the artists in Second Life who plays LIVE music.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Madelin, coinslot here. Enjoying the blog & thought I would respond to your latest post. For me, SL is a wonderful way of discovering new & exciting artists and attending gigs is all I do. I have no land & everything in my inventory was aquired for free (apart from a jacket I paid 10 lindens for). I currently have 28 L$. The only money I have ever obtained has been from sploders & winning competitions at gigs. Both times I won competitions I immediately tipped the artist my winnings.

    The fact that I have no cash to tip artists & venues makes me feel slightly guilty at every gig I attend. I salute all the artists, venue owners & other people involved in putting on gigs as they are all doing it for the love of music & SL rather than money. I may be unable to tip, but I do try to show my support by attending as many gigs of my favourite artists as I can. I hope that my enthusiastic gestures & friendly manner with anyone who wants to chat would maybe help get more people at the venue.

    Anyway Madelin, now you know my dirty secret. I hope I have maybe offered a different viewpoint on the issue of tipping. I won't be aquiring a load of cash in SL anytime soon so I can only hope that those who can affort to tip do so at every gig they enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Coin! I am glad that you are reading the blog and making me a comment as well. It is always good to have other points of view. You tend to always see things from where you stand yourself. Having said that I don’t see you and I having opposite opinions on this. There can be a number of reasons for people not wanting to bring money into Second Life, and I totally respect that. But… you can show your appreciation for the artist in other ways, and I think you do exactly that Coin. You and I have often been at the same gigs, and you always take part, greet people and use applauding gestures. I think you are great, and I hate that I make you feel bad. When you express an opinion it sometimes comes out in a more harsh way than you intended, and I am sorry if that was the case here.
    See you at Cascadia this evening!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Madelin. Please don't think that your blog was harsh or that it made me feel bad. No artist, venue owner, host or manager has ever made me feel awkward for being unable to tip.

    Thanks for giving me the chance to offer another viewpoint by replying to your blog & keep up the good work. Coin :)

    ps Sunday at Cascadia was fantastic as ever.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey you two! get a room!

    Yer both great people I look forward to seein at my shows and around SL *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with you. I just opened a venue and if it weren't for the music in SL I'm sure I wouldn't even be there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting article, added his blog to Favorites

    ReplyDelete