Friday, August 7, 2009

Torben Asp at Yard Club Ethereal


The Yard Club is Torben’s own place, and in the ethereal part of it you get rocketed out into space. It is fantastic and very beautiful. Stars, planets, spaceships and satellites are glowing in the dark space
Torben is very special to me. Heat was the first one I listened to, when I started to listen to live music in Second Life. He calls himself Torben Asp now, but in the old days he was ”Heat”. He is also my fellow country man, and it is nice to be able to speak my native tongue – danish – with him in Second Life.
I went to listen to his music together with my friend Fyrm Fouroux. This evening was a rather quiet one compaired to the usual ones. A lot of people have like me grown attached to the ethereal, dreamy but also rhytmic tunes, that Torben creates.
The music he plays is electronic, and he says himself that he is inspired by Jean Michel Jarre, Kraftwerk, Vivaldi and many more. I can certainly hear that he is influenced by Jean Michel Jarre, but I have to say - I prefer Torben to Jarre.
He started out with ” Ice cave”, where you can almost feel the icicles on the instruments and continued with ”Dance of the sirens”. The sirens lure the sailors onto the rocks with their beautiful singing. The sailors go to party with the sirens, and of course they end up dead. All that is expressed in this song if you listen carefully. ”Last bus” with the sound of the bus starting and stopping came next. Fyrm loves that one, and he often gets to collect the fare for the bus:). And Fyrm was the inspiration for the next tune ”Take away”. He once made a synth experiment with the lyrics: ”She blamed it on the Peking duck”, and Torben was inspired to do this chinese sounding tune, which made Fyrm hungry. Usually Fyrm’s food songs make other people hungry. This time he had a little of his own medicine:)
Next came ”Whistler in the sewer” about the people working in the sewers followed by ”Touching souls”. Torben wrote that for his partner Jess Oranos. It is a beautiful love song and one of my favourites. He ended the gig by playing ”Prayer for life” and ”Daydreamer”. ”Prayer for life” he dedicated to Mother Earth, an appeal to take good care of her. It starts with a spacey, creeking sound, and I always imagine it is the sound of the infinite space where our little lonely planet belongs.
Listening to Torben’s music puts pictures like that in your head. I listen to him in Second Life but I often have him in my ears when I wander the streets of Copenhagen too. I have to listen to his music often.

No comments:

Post a Comment