Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Bara Jonson at Miles Island


Last night I went to the venue Miles Island owned by Balder Miles to listen to Bara Jonson. He is from Malmö, Sweden. Since they built the Oresund Bridge between Denmark and Sweden it takes just half an hour to come from Copenhagen to Malmö. But at the moment Bara lives in San Louis Missisippi, so I can’t go and listen to him in first life. That doesn’t matter, because I can listen to him in second life. In fact he has a song about that called ”Far and away”, and he sang it yesterday. I was delighted when he sang two danish songs by the danish group Gasolin. The band doesn't exist any more, but they made an enormous amount of hits in Denmark in the 70s. Bara’s danish is good, although it sounds a little funny to a danish person – very charming. He really is multilingually talented. He can even sing in german, which he proved by singing the german song from the Eurovision Song Contest of 1979: Dschingis Khan. ”Behind blue eyes” – a giant hit for Limp Bizkit, but orginally sung by The Who he sang brilliantly. He sang Mmmmmmm – one of the best Crash Test Dummies songs ever in my opinion, and he did a pretty good job at it. The song suits Bara’s voice I think. I can see that I am writing a lot about the covers, but that is really not because I don’t like his original material. Apart from ”Far and away” he sang his latest ”With or without wings”. He sang ”I know you” about his newborn son, and he sang ”Happy when I leave you”. He has a very good voice, and his skilful strumming accompanies it with a steady beat. Go check him out if you haven’t already done so.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for the nice comments! And good to see you again at my show yesterday.
    And you know since Im from Skåne I AM half Danish :))
    Happy Halloween! or as it is in Sweden:
    Alla Helgons Dag
    /Bara Jonson

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Madelin,

    I am doing a similar kind of blog in french, maybe we meet one day... In any case i will post your blog in my list.

    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Melissa! I think we met at Terra Fyrmusica, when you came to listen to Fyrm. I wish I was better at reading french. I haven't been blogging for a while now, but I have intentions of starting again in 2010
    Hugs from Madelin

    ReplyDelete